Join our Legacy Society Today!
There are many ways to leave a lasting legacy to your community. The purpose of the Legacy Society is to recognize individuals who have included the Community Foundation in their estate plans through their will or trust, during the donor’s lifetime.
The tax benefits are significant. Gifts to qualified charities such as the Community Foundation are completely exempt from estate taxes.
Download our Donor & Advisor Guide
Founding Members: Samuel E. and Charlotte L. Williams
Sam and Char established a charitable gift to the Lapeer County Community Foundation through a provision in their trust. Their legacy gives back to the Lapeer community in the future. Although most of their time is spent in Florida, they remember the Lapeer area fondly. The Williamses have effectively ensured that the charitable organizations and causes they have loved during their lifetimes will continue to be supported long after they’ve gone.
How does it work?
1. You include the Lapeer County Community Foundation in your will as a bequest, and specify
a) The name the fund to which you would like to contribute, or
b) The name of the fund you would like to establish and/or
c) The purpose of the fund you would like to establish
2. You notify the Foundation, and we will immediately recognize you for your gift as a member in our Legacy Society and, unless you request anonymity, your name will be published in the Legacy Society List in each issue of our annual report and on our website.
3. Upon your death, we will
a) Establish a special fund in the name you have specified or
b) Contribute your bequest to the existing Community Foundation fund of your choice.
4. Your gift will be carefully invested and will grow over time. Grant distribution from the fund will be determined by the original fund letter of transmittal. Our Board of Trustees or the committee designated by the fund transmittal letter will issue grants in the name of the fund you wish to establish or to contribute.
5. The Lapeer County Community Foundation handles all the administrative details. Making a bequest to the Lapeer County Community Foundation is an easy way to transfer cash, appreciated stocks or bonds, real or personal property, or other assets. We can recommend the most tax efficient types of assets to give through your will and the language needed for your attorney.
6. Your will and bequests can be subject to changes that you determine necessary over time.
On behalf of the community, we wish to thank the following members of the Legacy Society for their generosity and for providing an example of leadership to other potential donors in the community:
Ted Bouwkamp-In memory of Shirley A. Bouwkamp
Paul and Cheryl Bowman
Eric and Kristen Cassabon
John and Dahna Loeding
Charles and Claudia Mann
Samuel and Charlotte Williams